Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rokon - 2D Game Engine for Android

I made a quick search on existing 2D game engines for Android, and managed to find Rokon - 2D Game Engine for Android:

"The project began as a result of being unable to find anything like this for Android, the aim of this project was to create a framework which can be used for any kind of game, and provide as much functionality and flexibility as possible.

Using a variety of classes it is possible to create playable and attractive games much quicker than it would starting from the ground up. A system of drawable objects on layers is the starting point, extensible to almost any usage. Rokon is also aimed at those new to Android programming, it provides all the necessary functions to handle the more laborious tasks - such as handling the hardware, accelerometer, audio, vibrations and incoming notifications. Creating a game ready for the market using Rokon requires ver y little Android-specific knowledge. We make games because we love playing them, so it should be as easy (and fun) as possible."

After a very quick look on Rokon's (Java) APIs, I think I will give it a try, and report later on about my experiences on developing with it.



2 comments:

Pensamientos dispersos said...

Rokon seems to be dead:

= A final goodbye =

There still appears to be quite a bit of traffic coming here (100's per day). And I have been getting a number of emails asking about what happened to the website.

Basically, I don't have time to maintain this project any more. It needs a lot of improves to keep up to date with the 'competition', and I just don't have the time, nor do I think it is useful. It has not been updated in well over 6 months now.

I would highly recommend you make your way over to libgdx. It is very flexible, and much more powerful. Personally, I prefer it. And am now using it on my next project.

AndEngine is similar to Rokon, and a similarly easy learning curve. But I'd suggest you make an effort, and use libgdx, it'll pay off in the long run!

Thanks to all those who helped out (including libgdx's Mario, who provided all the physics stuff), it was fun while it lasted. But time's change!

Have a nice life everyone, Richard

Lauraine said...

Nice post. Great blog. Keep posting such kind of information on your blog.
youtube html5 player| html5 converter

Post a Comment